Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Fri April 4, 2014
Providence Mayoral Candidate Smiley Unveils Economic Development Plan
Providence mayoral candidate Brett Smiley Thursday released a seven-point economic plan. Smiley is among a number of candidates trying to succeed Angel Taveras at City Hall.
Smiley says the city can move forward by focusing its support on key sectors of the economy. He says that includes healthcare and education; arts and design; and the working waterfront. Smiley calls those sectors unique to Providence, and says they offer the city a competitive advantage. Smiley says making city government a more user-friendly experience is another important part of economic development. He says that despite progress under Taveras more improvements can be made.
The other candidates for mayor include Republican Daniel Harrop, and Democrats Michael Solomon, Lorne Adrain, and Jorge Elorza.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com