Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Wed July 9, 2014
Providence Police: Overnight Shooting Could Be Gang-Related
Providence police say they believe Tuesday night’s shooting was targeted. Five people were injured, one seriously during the overnight shooting.
Providence Police Major David Lapatin said it’s unclear exactly what happened, but there was a party and people hanging around outside in the Chad Brown neighborhood when shots were fired, possibly from a moving vehicle.
Lapatin said evidence collected at the scene suggests that it was a targeted shooting, possibly gang-related. “I would suspect that most, if not all of the people shot may not have been gangs,” said Lapatin, "although there is probably a good chance that the shooters were part of a gang.”
Lapatin said police are zeroing in on suspects.
He said there have been 58 shootings in Providence this year, down from the 61 this time last year.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org