Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Tue May 14, 2013
Providence Tax Preparer Found Guilty of Tax Evasion
The owner of Providence tax preparation company has been sentenced to more than two years in prison for tax evasion and for continuing to operate his business in violation of a court order. The company – known as “Refunds Now Inc.” -- first came under the federal radar in 2010.
Two years ago a federal judge ordered Michael Brier, owner of Refunds Now Inc. to stop preparing tax returns. The court found he routinely understated customers’ tax liabilities, and that Brier and his employees fabricated tax deductions and credits on the returns. But a month later, federal revenue agents executed a search warrant at his Providence company and found that he was still doing returns.
Last week, following a guilty plea, Brier was sentenced to 27 months in prison for violating the judge’s order and for underreporting more than one million dollars in income. Prosecutors say the tax evasion deprived the federal treasury of 400-thousand dollars.
Following his release from prison, Brier will be on supervised release for three years. He’s also been ordered to repay his back taxes.