Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon February 25, 2013
Providence teacher accused of taking teen to FL
A Providence school teacher accused of taking a teenage boy to Florida will have a lot of time on his hands when he returns to Rhode Island. 56 year old David Jones has been placed on administrative leave while the Providence School Department launches an investigation.
David Jones may have bailed out of jail over the weekend. The Dade County, Florida jail, where Jones had been detained on $9,000 bond, said it had no one by that name Sunday morning.
Jones is accused of custodial interference for allegedly taking a 15 year old former student from Rhode Island to Florida without parental permission. The parents reported the boy missing. He was found in Miami Beach with the FBI’s help. A Miami Beach police report says the teacher had exchanged sexually explicit text messages with the boy.
In a statement dated Friday the Providence School Department said it immediately placed the teacher on administrative leave and will launch an internal investigation along with law enforcement. Mayor Angel Taveras said he is “very concerned” about the allegations.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com