Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon January 13, 2014
Raimondo Kicks Off Campaign For Governor, Rolls Out Ideas
Democratic gubernatorial candidate Gina Raimondo started fleshing out her vision for Rhode Island as she formally announced her campaign Monday morning.
Raimondo emphasized the economy, laying out ideas that include writing off some college loans to encourage grads to stay in Rhode Island, creating a funding formula for road and bridge improvements, and establishing an institute to foster growth-sector jobs.
The 42-year-old Democratic state treasurer told supporters at Hope Artiste Village in Pawtucket that Rhode Island needs to set its sights higher. “It’s time to change the tone at the top,” said Raimondo. “We need a tone at the top, a governor with a tone of urgency and focus and possibility as we turn this economy around.”
Raimondo initially announced her run for governor last month. Providence mayor Angel Taveras is also running, and fellow Democrat Clay Pell is considering a run. Voters will decide the Democratic primary for governor in September.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org