Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Arts & Culture
Wed August 7, 2013
Rhode Island Film Fest Highlights Legacy of Sen. Pell
The Rhode Island International Film Festival is underway. One movie highlights the loan program named for the late Senator Claiborne Pell.
A documentary about Pell Grants will receive its world premiere in Providence as part of the week-long film festival.
The movie follows the battle Senator Claiborne Pell fought in Congress to pass the grant program in the seventies.
It was written and directed by Steven Feinberg, who’s also the executive director of the Rhode Island Film and Television Office.
Feinberg said that the film is especially relevant, considering that Rhode Island’s current Senators are fighting to keep interest rates down on federal student loans.
“It’s amazing how much the loans are now costing, how much higher education is costing. I think the big thing that we hope our film sparks is discussion," said Feinberg.
Senator Pell’s widow Nuala, and grandson Clay will be at the premiere, and will take part in a question and answer session after the screening.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd love to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Education Blog