Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Fri May 31, 2013
Rhode Island Weather: A Heat Wave?
If you’ve stepped outside today, you’ve most likely wanted to step back inside as the temperature in parts of Rhode Island is into the low 90’s.
The high temperatures are expected to extend through Sunday, with highs into the low 90’s and high 80’s.
Though the term “heat wave” has been thrown around, Allen Dunham, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, says there must be three consecutive days of 90 degree weather for a heat wave.
Heat wave or not, the high temperatures are above the normal of mid 70’s for this time of year, but Dunham says that they are not necessarily uncommon.