Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Joe Paolino moving to Newport, planning strong table games campaign for Newport Grand
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We're Trying To Keep Politics Focused On Issues. Will You Help?
- Rhody Votes '14: Dems for Governor Debate
- UPDATE: Hurricane Arthur Threatens 4th of July Celebrations
Fri September 20, 2013
Rhode Island's Unemployment Increasing
Rhode Island’s unemployment rate is headed in the wrong direction.
Rhode Island’s unemployment rate increased from 8.9 percent in July to 9.1 percent in August. At the same time the national unemployment rate fell one-tenth of a percentage point to 7.3 percent.
The number of unemployed residents is 50,100 – up 800 from July. Over the year, however, the number of unemployed has fallen by about eight thousand.
Job gains were reported in the retail, educational, food service and government sectors. The manufacturing sector trimmed 300 jobs in August. Smaller losses were reported in wholesale trade, financial activities and arts and recreation.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com
The Bottom Line