Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Tue April 16, 2013
RI Blood Center Seeks Donors to Replenish Supply
The Rhode Island Blood Center shipped blood to Boston hospitals to help victims of the explosions at the marathon. Now, the Center is looking for Rhode Island donors, but not for emergencies.
The Center said in a statement that it doesn’t anticipate needing to send more units of blood to Boston hospitals. What went to Boston didn't come from emergency donations, but what was already on the shelves.
That’s why the Blood Center is encouraging Rhode Islanders to become regular donors and keep their scheduled appointments to donate. The Rhode Island Blood Center is the sole source of blood and blood products for all Rhode Island hospitals’. It has to collect nearly 400 pints of blood a day just to keep up with the community’s regular needs.
Boston Marathon Explosion