Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
Wed June 11, 2014
RI Bridge Authority Approves Median Along Pell Bridge
The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority voted unanimously Wednesday to install a median barrier along the bridge.
There is currently a line of yellow dividers down the center of the bridge, acting as a kind of visual barrier to keep drivers in their lanes. Those dividers will be replaced with a median barrier to prevent accidents caused by drivers crossing over into on-coming traffic.
Calls for a barrier on the Pell Bridge grew louder back in January after a deadly head-on collision on Christmas Eve.
The Bridge Authority says the permanent median barrier will cost about $5 million and construction is expected to start early next year.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org