Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Dems for Governor Debate
- Joe Paolino moving to Newport, planning strong table games campaign for Newport Grand
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We're Trying To Keep Politics Focused On Issues. Will You Help?
- TGIF: 10 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
The NECAP Test
Tue March 19, 2013
RI Education Board Chair Calls Adult NECAP Testing a Publicity Stunt
The results of a mock standardized test given to politicians and community leaders will be released Tuesday afternoon. The math test was administered Saturday by a student group which opposes the test known as NECAP or the New England Common Assessment Program.
The chairwoman of the state Board of Education is blasting the adult test takers for participating in what she calls a “publicity stunt.” Eva Marie Mancuso says if the adults had a hard time with it it’s because they weren’t prepared, as students are.
“I passed two bar exams. That was 35 years ago. I don’t know if I sat down cold to take the bar exam tomorrow that I would pass it. Same thing with a test on algebra,” says Mancuso. “It’s not something I use every day. So I think it’s very disingenuous to start having a bunch of educated people sit down and say ‘Boy that test was really hard’ when they haven’t done anything to prepare for it.”
Showing significant improvement on the NECAP test is a requirement for graduation starting with this year’s juniors. At this point, about 40 percent of the state’s juniors need to show improvement.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org