Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue October 2, 2001
RI Guard Call Up
The Rhode Island National Guard is mobilizing its first troops to assist with the battle against terrorism. Forty-four members of the Rhode Island Air National Guard will be shipping out this week for active duty as part of a nationwide call-up of reservists. The guardsmen are members of the 143rd Rhode Island Air Wing.
Their mission is to patrol airbases within the United States. ?They?re prepared to give security to airfields, have access to airfields, look at the perimeters, determine if there?s a possible threat on the airfield. They would take whatever action is necessary to secure that airfield,? said General Reginald Centrachio, Commander of the Rhode Island National Guard.
The Guardsmen ship out Thursday morning to a classified location. Their active duty will be between 4 months and a year, according to General Centrachio, who said that he expects more units of the Rhode Island National Guard to be called up.
Members of the National Guard were activated over the weekend to assist with security at T.F. Green Airport in Warwick.