Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon July 18, 2011
RI officials talk plan b for health exchange
By MEGAN Hall
Providence, RI – State officials are meeting today to discuss a plan for creating Rhode Island's online marketplace for health insurance.
Legislation to create a planning group for the health insurance exchange failed in the General Assembly this year, so now the state is looking at using an executive order from the governor to accomplish the same thing.
Rhode Island has three options for who should design the online market place for health insurance- the Department of Health, another state agency, or a non-profit.
The Executive Committee of the Rhode Island Healthcare Reform Commission is meeting to discuss those options and make a recommendation to the governor.
But whatever Rhode Island decides, it needs to move fast. The state could lose millions of dollars in federal funding if it doesn't have a plan for creating the health exchange by September.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.