Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Wed August 14, 2013
RI Turnpike and Bridge Authority Yet To Establish Toll Collection Policy
A 10-cent toll will go into effect next Monday on the Sakonnet River Bridge. The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority has not yet established a new policy for collecting the tolls.
The General Assembly set the new 10-cent toll in the closing days of the legislative session earlier this summer. Turnpike and Bridge Authority Chairman David Darlington said the authority needs to gather more information before making a new policy.
"What I think is probably the more prudent thing to do is for us is let the tolls begin on the 19th and then we can get actual numbers and actual information about how many folks are using EZPass, how many folks are infrequent users, how many people are using it frequently and not paying," said Darlington.
The legislature added the 10-cent toll on the Sakonnet basically as a placeholder. That came after lawmakers learned the absence of a toll on the new bridge could prevent tolls from ever being added there.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org