Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu January 16, 2014
RI Turnpike & Bridge Authority: Flexible Dividers To Be Placed Down Center of Pell Bridge
The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority says it will install a divider down the center of the Pell Bridge.
However, the divider will not be a solid median. The authority says it will install roughly five hundred reflective yellow posts each about four feet tall along the center of the bridge.
Turnpike and Bridge Authority director David Darlington, said the posts will go up in the next two weeks.
“The purpose of this is to alert drivers of the center line of the bridge, so they’re aware of where exactly the center line of the bridge is, and allow them to move themselves back into the lane. It will not stop somebody from crossing into the other lane.”
Darlington said a solid median in not off the table, and a study examining one will be completed in coming months.
Calls for a median dividing the bridge grew louder in recent years following two deadly head-on collisions.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org