Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Thu January 23, 2014
RI Unemployment Rate Inches Up to 9.1 Percent
Rhode Island’s jobless rate ticked up in December to land at 9.1 percent, that’s up from 9 percent in November.
During the late summer and fall, Rhode Island’s persistently high unemployment rate had been gradually ticking down. But the seasonally adjusted rate for December reverses that course, inching up one-tenth of a percentage point to 9.1 percent.
The DLT’s Donna Murray said overall, the state added jobs in 2013. “We always say whether things are good or bad one month does not make a trend,” said Murray, “and if we look over the long-term compared to last year our unemployment rate is down eight-tenths.”
Murray said job losses didn’t come from just one sector, but from a wide range of sectors.
As Rhode Island’s unemployment rate increased in December, the national rate dropped to 6.7 percent, down from 7-percent in November.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com