Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Tue June 10, 2014
Richard Licht Judgeship Vote Expected For Tuesday
The Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to vote this Tuesday on a top state official’s nomination to be a Superior Court judge. Richard Licht currently heads the state Department of Administration.
Governor Lincoln Chafee nominated Licht for the judicial post last month. If confirmed, Licht will take the place of retired Superior Court judge Judith Savage and earn close to 150-thousand dollars a year.
Licht has a long record in public life in Rhode Island. He previously served as a state senator and lieutenant governor, and his uncle, Frank Licht, beat Chafee’s father, John Chafee, in the 1968 race for governor.
The state Ethics Commission ruled that Licht isn’t subject to a one-year prohibition on current state employees moving into judicial positions. Licht argued the revolving-door rule didn’t apply to him since being a department head is different from being a Cabinet official.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org