Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Thu December 16, 2010
RI's medical examiner has ethics violations, misdemeanors in past
By MEGAN HALL
Providence, RI – Rhode Island's acting chief medical examiner has a criminal record. According to a newspaper report Thursday, Dr. William Cox pleaded guilty more than a decade ago to personally profiting from autopsies.
The details about Cox's background came to light when he applied for a job as Oklahoma's medical examiner. The Oklahoman newspaper says he pleaded guilty to nine misdemeanors while he was a coroner in Ohio.
Spokeswoman Annemarie Beardsworth says the Rhode Island Department of Health knew about some of Cox's past record. "What we were aware of was he had had some ethics violations and he'd paid restitutions in relation to those violations," she says.
Beardsworth says the Health Department is investigating Cox's misdemeanors and his 30 day sentence at a half way house. She says the agency is very concerned.
Read the Oklahoman article here
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.