Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
The Education Blog
Tue October 2, 2012
RISD grad is one of the ‘Girls’
Actress Jemima Kirke, who plays free-spirited but aloof Jessa Johansson on HBO’s breakout show “Girls,” ought to know her way around Providence. She’s a recent graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design.
Kirke earned a BFA in painting from RISD in 2008. She’s also the daughter of drummer Simon Kirk, of Bad Company fame.
Girls creator Lena Dunham reportedly met Kirke while the two were students at St. Ann’s School in New York City. Dunham has painterly ties herself – she’s the daughter of the painter Carroll Dunham.
In other celebrity news, RISD alum Seth MacFarlane is slated to host the 2013 Oscar Awards. MacFarlane is the creator of the animated series “Family Guy” and “American Dad,” among other film, television and music projects.