Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
The Education Blog
Mon December 9, 2013
RISD Names Interim President
The Rhode Island School of Design has announced that Provost Rosanne Somerson will take over the duties of president while the board seeks a replacement for John Maeda.
Last Wednesday, Maeda announced that he will step down at the end of the semester to take a job at the venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
RISD Board Chair Michael Spalter says he is confident that Somerson is the right person to lead RISD through the transition.
Somerson is a RISD graduate who helped found the school’s department of furniture design. She maintains her own studio, and examples of her work can be found in the collections of the Smithsonian and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.