Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Wed July 27, 2011
Romney in Rhode Island
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Local Democrats and Republicans are trading fire over GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney's appearance at a Newport fundraiser, where former governor Don Carcieri was among the hosts.
For $250, supporters can attend the fundraiser. Add another zero and the tab for a private reception with Romney is $2500. State GOP chairman Ken McKay says it's too early for him to endorse a candidate, but he likes what he sees in Romney.
"People are looking for somebody, you know, who's got financial background. There's big money problems in the country and I really think the people look at him and think, oh, here's a guy with a certain expertise," he says. "He built businesses and we need somebody like that."
State Democratic chairman Ed Pacheco says Romney's endorsement of the so-called "cut, cap and balance" plan shows he is more concerned with protecting tax cuts for the wealthy than helping ordinary Rhode Islanders.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.