Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed May 8, 2013
Safety Concerns Push URI Graduation Indoors
The University of Rhode Island is moving its graduation indoors. The university said it’s for safety reasons.
URI said the recent gun scare on campus and the bombings in Boston prompted it to move the graduation ceremony into the Ryan Center. Graduating student Kelly Harris is unhappy with the move. She said students are limited to bringing two guests and that will make it harder for her friends and family to see her walk across the stage.
“This is affecting the vast majority of graduating seniors,” said Harris.
URI will set up TV screens across campus for people to watch the graduation ceremony. The University said it’s unsure whether it will hold the ceremony indoors next year.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org