Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Thu January 3, 2013
Same-sex marriage bills introduced at the General Assembly
(PROVIDENCE, RI) Bill to legalize same-sex marriage were introduced Thursday in each chamber of the General Assembly.
Senator Donna Nesselbush (D-Pawtucket) is the lead sponsor of a Senate bill with about a dozen sponsors.
In the House, the bill was introduced by Representative Art Handy (D-Cranston) with about 40 sponsors.
The House Judiciary Committee could take up the bill as soon as next week.
It’s not clear when the Senate Judiciary Committee will take up the bill on the Senate side.
The General Assembly hasn't considered a same-sex marriage bill since 2011, when it was dropped in favor of a civil union measure that became law.
Advocates on both sides of the issue are expected to lobby fiercely for and against same-sex marriage when the legislature takes up the firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us; we'd like to hear from you: email@example.com