Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue April 9, 2013
Same-Sex Marriage Senate Vote On Horizon
The full Rhode Island Senate is expected to vote on same-sex marriage legislation within the next few weeks. That’s according to the spokesman for Senate President Teresa Paiva Weed.
The first step for the legislation is the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Same-sex marriage supporters want the General Assembly to approve same-sex marriage. Opponents favor a competing bill calling for the issue to be decided through a statewide vote.
The Senate is expected to consider the issue after its spring break next week.
In related news, a series of unions staged a Providence fundraiser Monday night for the coalition pressing for same-sex marriage. The Warwick City Council has also unanimously endorsed same-sex legislation.