Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Tue April 9, 2013
Same-Sex Marriage Senate Vote On Horizon
The full Rhode Island Senate is expected to vote on same-sex marriage legislation within the next few weeks. That’s according to the spokesman for Senate President Teresa Paiva Weed.
The first step for the legislation is the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Same-sex marriage supporters want the General Assembly to approve same-sex marriage. Opponents favor a competing bill calling for the issue to be decided through a statewide vote.
The Senate is expected to consider the issue after its spring break next week.
In related news, a series of unions staged a Providence fundraiser Monday night for the coalition pressing for same-sex marriage. The Warwick City Council has also unanimously endorsed same-sex legislation.