Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The R.I. And Mass. Casino Conundrum
Mon October 21, 2013
Sen. Whitehouse uses government shutdown to raise campaign cash
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse has become the second member of the RI Washington, D.C. delegation to use the 16-day federal government shutdown as a rationale for raising campaign dollars. In an e-mail message to supporters, Whitehouse decries the Republican-inspired closing of the federal government.
``If there is one thing we have learned in these past weeks, it’s that the Tea Party will go to great lengths – including putting the American economy in danger and holding our government hostage – to destroy Obamacare,’’ writes Democrat Whitehouse.
``Let me make something clear: This cannot happen again,’’ says Whitehouse, who won reelection just last year and does not face voters again until 2018.
`This has been an especially trying time for all of us, but the Tea Party gamble cost us $24 billion in lost American economic activity,’’ stated Whitehouse.
At the end of the message, Whitehouse make his campaign money ask. Congressman David Cicilline made a similar fund-raising appeal last week.