Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Mon June 23, 2014
Several Veterans Bills Make It Through The RI General Assembly
Several veteran-related bills made it through the General Assembly and are on their way to the governor’s desk. One of those bills gives disabled veterans waivers for classes at state colleges and universities.
Another bill lets honorably discharged veterans and National Guard reservists transfer skills they’ve learned during their service to fulfill requirements for trade apprenticeships.
Lawmakers also passed a resolution urging employers to give veterans who work for them time off on Veteran’s Day.
April 12th would be “Rhode Island Patriot Guard Riders Day.” The Patriot Guard Riders is a motorcycle group that attends the funerals of fallen troops, firefighters, and police.
And the governor has already signed a bill creating a commission that will look into building a Desert Storm and Desert Shield memorial at the Veterans’ Cemetery in Exeter.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Education Blog