Most Active Stories
- Pawsox Sold To Group That Plans To Move The Team To Providence
- Big Question: Is a Baseball Stadium the Best Use of 195 Land?
- Developer Chace Working To Buy Providence Journal Building
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- SEIU Taking Women And Infants Hospital To Court Over Layoffs
Mon February 25, 2013
Sex Abuse Allegation puts Woonsocket Priest on Administrative Leave
Another Roman Catholic priest has been sidelined by a child sexual abuse allegation. The priest has accepted responsibility for his actions.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence says Monsignor John Allard of Woonsocket has been forced to resign the pastor of St. Agatha and Precious Blood parishes because of a child sex abuse allegation that dates back more than 30 years.
The diocese says Allard accepted responsibility for his actions when confronted. He has expressed remorse for the harm he has caused and has moved out of the rectory.
Commenting on the move Bishop Thomas Tobin said in a released statement, “Allegations of abuse, even if they occurred many years ago, are taken very seriously.” The diocese says it has turned the case over to state police.
John Allard is the second Rhode Island priest to lose his post to child sexual abuse allegations this year. In January Warwick’s Father Barry Meehan was forced to resign for similar reasons.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com