Most Active Stories
- Lincoln Chafee Considers Run For 2016 Democratic Presidential Nomination
- Raising The Profile Of An Undereaten Fish
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Myth Of Rhode Island's Generous Programs For The Poor
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- So-Called 'Taylor Swift Tax' Goes Before House Lawmakers
Fri October 11, 2013
Shutdown Keeps RI National Guard From Columbus Day Parades
The Rhode Island National Guard said it has had to cancel its participation in all of the Columbus Day events. That includes the Columbus Day parade on Federal Hill.
Spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Parente said there are 15 events on the calendar for next month, including some for Veteran’s Day. He said if the partial federal shutdown stretches into Veterans Day, the National Guard will do what it can to have a presence.
“Even if we have to use active duty military people that take them off their primary missions and roles and use them for some of these civic outreach military support activities,” said Parente, “we’ll do that but on a reduced scale.”
Parente said about 300 furloughed workers have been called back this week. He stresses it is not business as usual at a Rhode Island National Guard, but said he hopes it will be soon.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com