Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Tue June 19, 2012
State GOP reveals list of legislative candidates
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – The state Republican Party unveiled its latest batch of legislative challengers during a Statehouse news conference Monday. The GOP hopes to run as many as 50 candidates legislative seats.
The Republican candidates touched on many of the same themes. They say ruling General Assembly Democrats are hurting the state through too much spending and too many tax increases. GOP Chairman Mark Zaccaria says running fewer candidates than in the past is a deliberate strategy.
"We at best are looking at trying to get both the House and the Senate into a configuration where there has to be a floor fight for every major bill," Zaccaria says.
Zaccaria says the GOP hopes to stop what he calls the Democratic rubber-stamping of bills decided by legislative leaders. Republicans now hold 18 of 113 seats in the General Assembly.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.