Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Fri March 1, 2013
State Pension Challenge on Hold as Negotiations Continue
A legal challenge to the overhaul of the state pension system will remain on hold as the two sides continue to mediate the dispute.
The judge overseeing the pension case, Sarah Taft-Carter, met with lawyers Thursday. She’s set to get another update on mediation efforts March 25th.
A series of public-sector unions is suing to overturn the state’s overhaul of the pension system.
The unions say the overhaul is unconstitutional and went too far in cutting benefits. State Treasurer Gina Raimondo and other supporters of the overhaul say it was legally sound and financially necessary.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org