Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Thu January 6, 2011
State police investigate inmate death
By FLO JONIC
PROVIDENCE, RI. – Rhode Island state police are investigating the death of an inmate at the high security center of the Adult Correctional Institution.
Thirty year old Dennard Walker was found unresponsive at 3:30am Thursday. He had been serving a life sentence for the murder of a teenage girl who was about to testify against Walker's half brother in a separate murder case.
Corrections Department spokeswoman Tracy Zeckhausen says it does not appear to be a homicide but nothing has been ruled out.
"That's under investigation. It's a state police investigation at this point. Our internal affaris office will be working closely with them. I'm told they will release a press release tomorrow after they receive the results of the autopsy," says Zeckhausen.
Walker was housed in the high security unit because of his prison behavior and the notoriety of his crime, Zeckhausen says. The 2000 murder of Jennifer Rivera attracted national attention and prompted an overhaul of the state's witness protection program.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.