Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue May 21, 2013
Steve Laffey Running for Governor in Colorado
Former Cranston Mayor Stephen Laffey, who had a meteoric rise in Rhode Island politics before losing a Republican primary challenge to then-US Senator Lincoln Chafee in 2006, is headed toward a GOP run for governor in his adopted state of Colorado.
Via KDVR (h/t Kathy Gregg):
Laffey’s campaign manager, Patrick Davis, began dropping hints on Facebook Monday night. Laffey is expected to officially announce his campaign Tuesday morning on the Amy Oliver Show.
Able to self-fund his campaign early, Laffey is the first serious candidate to enter what could be a crowded primary field, with GOP Chairman Ryan Call telling FOX31 Denver Monday that he expects at least five candidates to vie for the party’s nomination next year.
However many Republicans decide to take a shot at defeating [incubment Democrat John] Hickenlooper, it’s a good bet that Laffey will be the most liberal — the most similar to Hickenlooper himself, actually — of the bunch.