Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The R.I. And Mass. Casino Conundrum
Tue May 21, 2013
Steve Laffey Running for Governor in Colorado
Former Cranston Mayor Stephen Laffey, who had a meteoric rise in Rhode Island politics before losing a Republican primary challenge to then-US Senator Lincoln Chafee in 2006, is headed toward a GOP run for governor in his adopted state of Colorado.
Via KDVR (h/t Kathy Gregg):
Laffey’s campaign manager, Patrick Davis, began dropping hints on Facebook Monday night. Laffey is expected to officially announce his campaign Tuesday morning on the Amy Oliver Show.
Able to self-fund his campaign early, Laffey is the first serious candidate to enter what could be a crowded primary field, with GOP Chairman Ryan Call telling FOX31 Denver Monday that he expects at least five candidates to vie for the party’s nomination next year.
However many Republicans decide to take a shot at defeating [incubment Democrat John] Hickenlooper, it’s a good bet that Laffey will be the most liberal — the most similar to Hickenlooper himself, actually — of the bunch.