Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Fri February 14, 2014
Strong Chocolate Sales This Valentine’s Day For RI Chocolatier
One local chocolatier says this has been a busy Valentine’s Day. Jennifer Dowell owns Jennifer’s Chocolates in Wakefield. Sales this year are way ahead of last year, she speculates that maybe the bad weather prodded couples to get their Valentine’s orders in early.
The big sellers this year are smoked sea salt caramels, truffles, and chocolate dipped strawberries – lots of chocolate dipped strawberries. “We have about a million orders for strawberries,” Dowell said. “Strawberries have to be eaten and dipped on the same day so, we have ah … we’re doing a lot of strawberries.”
Dowell said Valentine’s Day on a Friday usually puts a damper on candy sales because couples choose to spend their money on a meal out, but for whatever reason this year is bucking that trend.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com