Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
Fri February 14, 2014
Strong Chocolate Sales This Valentine’s Day For RI Chocolatier
One local chocolatier says this has been a busy Valentine’s Day. Jennifer Dowell owns Jennifer’s Chocolates in Wakefield. Sales this year are way ahead of last year, she speculates that maybe the bad weather prodded couples to get their Valentine’s orders in early.
The big sellers this year are smoked sea salt caramels, truffles, and chocolate dipped strawberries – lots of chocolate dipped strawberries. “We have about a million orders for strawberries,” Dowell said. “Strawberries have to be eaten and dipped on the same day so, we have ah … we’re doing a lot of strawberries.”
Dowell said Valentine’s Day on a Friday usually puts a damper on candy sales because couples choose to spend their money on a meal out, but for whatever reason this year is bucking that trend.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com