Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Wed October 30, 2013
Students and Activists Shut Down Lecuture At Brown University
More than 100 Student and community protestors shut down a lecture by New York City police commissioner Ray Kelly at Brown University yesterday afternoon.
Mario Vega, a Brown student, says he was there to protest the way NYC police have monitored Muslim residents since 9/11.
“I think Ray Kelly’s policies are completely racist and Islamiphobic, and I completely do not support how Brown is paying him to come here and unilaterally impose his doctrine on the people of the University. That gives the impression that we support it and we don’t," said Vega.
Brown officials canceled the lecture after they were unable to quiet the demonstrators.
In a statement Brown President, Christina Paxson, says the protest was quote “simply unacceptable,” calling it a sad day for the school’s commitment to free speech.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com