Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Fri November 1, 2013
Taveras Names Maryellen Goodwin Acting Deputy Chief of Staff
Providence Mayor Angel Taveras has named Maryellen Goodwin, majority whip in the Rhode Island Senate and the chief clerk in the city's Department of Planning & Development, as his acting deputy chief of staff.
The news, relayed in a message to staffers, comes on the heels of plans for the departure of Arianne Lynch as deputy chief of staff and the exit of deputy city solicitor Matt Jerzyk.
While some might question the optics of promoting a member of the General Assembly leadership as Taveras pursues a Democratic run for governor, Taveras touts her as a lifelong Providence resident "who has a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing our city."
Taveras goes on to say Goodwin has worked closely with Economic Development director Jim Bennett as that office has worked to implement a 2o-point economic plan. The mayor says he thanks "Maryellen for stepping in to provide continuity in the mayor's office as we continue our work to move Providence forward."
Goodwin didn't return telephone messages left for her earlier today.