Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue January 4, 2011
Taveras supporters party into the night
By MEGAN HALL
Providence, RI – Last night more than a thousand people gathered at the Rhode Island Convention Center to celebrate the inauguration of Providence's new Mayor Angel Taveras.
Supporters danced, cheered, and drank at the free event, which featured bilingual speeches and music for the city's first Latino mayor.
Taveras' sister, Dinora Dominguez, switched effortlessly between English and Spanish as she introduced her brother.
Taveras spent only a few minutes on stage, to thank his supporters and offer this pledge- "I'm gonna do everything I can so that the pride you feel tonight in this celebration, you can feel that pride from here on out," he said. "And you can feel proud of the city of Providence of the Mayor of Providence as well.
The new mayor spent the rest of the night enjoying the music of a special guest, Fernandito Villalona, the Dominican singer who wrote a song in honor of the Taveras Campaign.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.