Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon December 30, 2013
These Pups Are the Night Watchmen on New England Farms
One East Greenwich farmer is filling a need for guard dogs in New England. Pat McNiff at Pat’s Pastured is breeding and selling puppies who will guard livestock, and in some cases flowers, for farmers across the region.
McNiff said the dogs are breed for the job and mom does all the training. He said his guard dogs have been a big help with the chickens. “So we used to lose 50 chickens in a week,” said McNiff, "but now we lose none. It’s pretty amazing.”
McNiff said these dogs live with the livestock they’re protecting and work mainly at night by barking at predators. He said the barking might make them less than ideal for the urban farmer.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com