Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Tue February 11, 2014
Thousands of RI Latinos May Qualify for Obamacare
A new analysis out from the US Health and Human Services agency estimates that about 17,000 uninsured Latinos in Rhode Island may qualify for assistance buying a health insurance plan on HealthSource RI or for Medicaid. That's out of RI's total Latino population of about 112,000. Both seem like sizeable numbers for a state of only about a million.
Overall, says HHS, about eight in 10 of the eight million or so eligible uninsured Latinos across the country may qualify for tax credits to buy a health plan through the Obamacare marketplaces or for Medicaid.
So how many have taken advantage and signed up? We don't know the full picture in Rhode Island - HealthSource RI has only released age and gender demographics.
We do know that Latinos are far more likely to be uninsured than whites. The report finds that about 16% of all U.S. citizens are uninsured; among Latinos it's 24%.