Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Sun November 17, 2013
Time for annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service in Providence
One of the highlights of the holiday season in Providence is the annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service that is held before Thanksgiving at one of the East Side’s many houses of worship. This year the service will be held at Temple Beth El on Tuesday Nov. 26 at 7 p.m. The temple is located at 70 Orchard Avenue on the East Side.
This year the sermon will be given by Brown University President Christina Paxson. President Paxson was sworn in as Brown’s 19th president in July of 2012. She is a graduate of Swarthmore College who earned her graduate degrees in economics at Columbia University. Before coming to Brown, Paxson was dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of International and Public Affairs at Princeton University.
In her short tenure as Brown president, Paxson has made involvement in the Rhode Island community a pillar of her administration. She has given a sermon on the meaning of Roger Williams theories at Central Congregational Church in Providence, which is also a sponsor of the Interfaith Service at Thanksgiving.
The event is free and open to the public.