Toxic gas at Eleanor Slater Hospital
Providence, RI –
Ten staff members went to the hospital and one patient felt light headed after hydrogen sulfide leaked into the state's mental health hospital this morning. The toxic gas came from insulation disturbed during construction on the roof of Eleanor Slater Hospital in Cranston.
Chief operating officer Paul Despres says the problem has been corrected.
"The patients at the Eleanor Slater Hospital are safe and the staff at the Eleanor Slater Hospital are safe," Despres says. "And any staff person who was affected is receiving appropriate medical care."
Du-pray says he's not sure when or how Eleanor Slater will replace its roof without disturbing the toxic insulation. For now, the renovations are on hold.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.