Two people are injured after an underground blast caused manhole covers to fly. Providence fire fighters were responding to a call around 11:00am Monday of a strange odor at 300 Richmond in Providence’s Jewelry District when National Grid said a mix of fire and gases caused eight manhole covers to fly into the air.
National Grid said there were readings of high levels of carbon monoxide at the location. Providence Police Commissioner Steven Pare said two pedestrians were slightly injured.
National Grid said power and gas are functioning normally. The utility said it doesn’t know exactly what happened and is investigating the incident.