Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Fri January 17, 2014
URI Tapped For President Obama’s Latin American Initiative
Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State John Kerry congratulated the University of Rhode Island Friday for being selected to take part in a presidential initiative to send more students to Latin America. URI is one of four school selected for the project.
The goal of the presidential initiative is have 100,000 American students studying in Latin America and to bring 100,000 Latin American students to the United States.
URI will establish an International Engineering Program in Chile, giving URI engineering students a chance to intern at Chilean companies. URI will also roll out a new course focused on innovation and sustainability in South America.
URI President David Dooley says the university is excited about strengthening ties with Latin America. Vice President Biden and Secretary of State Kerry congratulated URI faculty at a ceremony at the state department.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com