Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Tue May 21, 2013
Valois Faces Approval of Full State Senate
Governor Lincoln Chafee’s choice to lead the state Economic Development Corporation faces approval by the full state Senate committee Tuesday. The votes comes amid debate over the EDC’s future.
Chafee’s choice, Marcel Valois, was unanimously approved by a Senate committee last week. Valois led the EDC in the 1990s during Lincoln Almond’s tenure as governor. He says Rhode Island needs to do a better job of helping business when it can and getting out of the way when it can’t.
Valois is currently the vice president of an economic foundation. He was previously chief operating officer of the Penske Automotive Group.
The EDC has been marked for years by turnover in its leadership. The agency lost its last leader after failed video game maker 38 Studios defaulted on a guaranteed loan … leaving Rhode Island taxpayers on the hook for about 100 million dollars.