Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
Arts & Culture
Mon March 17, 2014
Viola Davis Previews New Television Show
Rhode Island actress Viola Davis is talking about her latest project, a television pilot for ABC.
Davis plays ambitious defense attorney Annalise Keating, who also teaches law students at an ivy league university.
"She teaches them how to defend a criminal case in a practical manner by allowing them to help her solve a murder investigation," Davis said, adding there's more than one mystery to be solved after a murder takes place on campus.
The show, "How to Get Away with Murder," takes place in Philadelphia.
It is the latest project from producer Shonda Rhimes, the creator of several popular television shows including Gray’s Anatomy and Scandal.
Davis says she is excited to work with Rhimes and hopes the pilot gets picked up.
"It’s a great role for me because its outside my comfort zone," Davis said of her character. "She’s sexy, she’s ambitious, she’s hardcore, she’s mysterious. She’s all the things that usually people don’t allow me to play."
Davis, who grew up in Central Falls and graduated from Central Falls High School, was in Rhode Island last week for a conference at Bryant University.
The Education Blog