Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Tue March 19, 2013
WATCH: After 'Fascist' Accusations, Ukrainian Parliament Brawls
Originally published on Tue March 19, 2013 4:49 pm
You thought our politics were bad. If you need a fresh reminder that it could be worse: Official business at Ukraine's parliament was suspended for a short time, while MPs exchanged punches.
Russia Today has video:
"The brawl began with yelling over the language used in the chamber and 'fascist' accusations from both sides.
"The session was opened by the head of the ruling Party of Regions, Aleksandr Efremov, speaking in Russian, a language his opponents manifest that they strongly dislike. Ukrainian Liberty Party members made sure nobody could hear the speech by chanting 'Speak Ukrainian!' out loud and drumming with their hands against the desks."
The BBC reports that this is a bigger struggle between the politicians favored by "Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the east and south of the country" and those "in western Ukraine, where Ukrainian dominates."