Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue November 5, 2013
Westerly Zoning Board Takes Up Copar Quarry Expansion
Westerly’s Zoning Board is circling back to a cease and desist order against Copar and Westerly Granite. Tuesday's hearing picks up where the zoning board left off earlier this year.
Residents near Copar’s quary say it’s noisy and spews rock and dust into the air, causing health risks. Copar says the noise is no louder than a busy road.
Meanwhile, Copar and the Town of Westerly are locked in a lawsuit that the former town manager was hoping would be resolved in mediation.
The town’s legal bills have topped 30-thousand dollars. Tonight’s zoning board hearing centers on whether Copar expanded into adjoining land without the proper paperwork. Hearings of the issue have been stop and go since early this year.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com