Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Mon March 31, 2014
What's Next For HealthSource RI?
As you may know, today is the deadline for individuals and families to sign up for health insurance coverage through HealthSource RI, if you don't already have coverage. But what happens tomorrow?
Well, if you're an individual or a family without coverage now, and you can't get it through your employer or via Medicaid, you'll have to wait until the next open enrollment period, November 15, 2014. Also, you might face a tax penalty.
As for HealthSource RI, some of its walk-in centers will remain open for a few more weeks to help answer new policyholders' questions.
And small businesses can still sign up whenever their open enrollment period falls.
But now, I imagine, after the big enrollment push, HealthSource will have to turn its attention to answering a few questions:
- how will it be funded going forward?
- what are the final enrollment numbers, and are they enough to keep health insurers interested in offering plans on the exchange, enough to encourage insurers to keep premiums affordable?
- how are people using their new insurance? Is it working for them the way they thought it would?
- did enrollment go smoothly enough, and are the plans good enough, to attract more small businesses in the future?