Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Mon March 31, 2014
What's Next For HealthSource RI?
As you may know, today is the deadline for individuals and families to sign up for health insurance coverage through HealthSource RI, if you don't already have coverage. But what happens tomorrow?
Well, if you're an individual or a family without coverage now, and you can't get it through your employer or via Medicaid, you'll have to wait until the next open enrollment period, November 15, 2014. Also, you might face a tax penalty.
As for HealthSource RI, some of its walk-in centers will remain open for a few more weeks to help answer new policyholders' questions.
And small businesses can still sign up whenever their open enrollment period falls.
But now, I imagine, after the big enrollment push, HealthSource will have to turn its attention to answering a few questions:
- how will it be funded going forward?
- what are the final enrollment numbers, and are they enough to keep health insurers interested in offering plans on the exchange, enough to encourage insurers to keep premiums affordable?
- how are people using their new insurance? Is it working for them the way they thought it would?
- did enrollment go smoothly enough, and are the plans good enough, to attract more small businesses in the future?