Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Wed December 18, 2013
Which RI Senator Shuns The U.S. Senate Secret Santa Exchange?
The U.S. Senate had its Secret Santa gift exchange, and one of Rhode Island’s senators bowed out of the fun. For the last three years Minnesota Sen. Al Franken has arranged the bipartisan Secret Santa. But Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse said he loves to torment his friend, Sen. Franken, by refusing to take part in the affair.
Whitehouse said Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid also passes up the chance to swap a cheap gift with a fellow U.S. Senator.
Not Jack Reed, who said he got some barbeque sauce and a bottle of red wine from Alabama Sen. Richard Shelby. And in return he gave Michigan Sen. Carl Levin a West Point tie. Reed said if Levin is going to be chairman of the Armed Services Committee, he needs a good tie for the job.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com