Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Fri May 27, 2011
Woonsocket family planning
By MEGAN HALL
PROVIDENCE, RI – Woonsocket high school will soon offer contraception services in its health clinic.
The city's school committee has voted 3 to 2 to allow Thundermist health center to offer everything from reproductive exams to birth control pills, as long as students have parental permission.
Maria Montanero, the CEO of Thundermist says in an ideal world, students would wait until they're older to have sex.
"Even with that said, we live in a culture where teens are sexually active and the unfortunate reality is, in lower socio-economic groups, more girls get pregnant," she says.
Woonsocket has the 2nd highest rate of teen pregnancy in Rhode Island, behind Central Falls.
Thundermist says its school based health clinic sees students with new cases of sexually transmitted diseases every month.
The clinic will not and never has offered abortions.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.